Women who have recently had a baby and are looking to restore their body to its pre-pregnancy shape may choose to undergo a tummy tuck. This type of surgery can be a great step in self-care after childbirth, but there are some things to consider before undergoing tummy tuck to ensure the safety of the patient and to achieve the best possible results. Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Matthias Solomon provides tummy tuck surgery to patients in Dallas, Frisco, Sherman, Texas, and surrounding locations.
Following childbirth, moms can have loose and drooping skin, as well as stretched or torn abdominal muscles. With damaged muscles, the stomach walls are not strong enough to hold firm and flat. Some women may see their tummy recover after some time, however, other mothers may forever lose their pre-pregnancy figure. Diet and exercise unfortunately cannot fix damaged abdominal muscles.
Tummy Tuck Procedure
During a tummy tuck, extra fat and skin are removed and any damaged abdominal muscles are tightened and repaired. This outpatient procedure is normally completed under general anesthetic within a few hours, depending on the extent of your case.
Best Timeline for Tummy Tuck After Childbirth
It is suggested to undergo a tummy tuck until six months to a year following childbirth. Things to think about while considering this timeline are:
- You need time to heal from the process of giving birth before going through another operation
- You will have to have several weeks to recuperate after your tummy tuck and won’t be able to lift or perform strenuous activities that may be necessary for taking care of your baby
- You won’t be able to breastfeed while taking painkillers or after your general anesthesia
- It is advised that you shed any weight gained during pregnancy to have the best results from your tummy tuck
- Evaluate if you plan to have any more children in the future to maintain your surgical results
Schedule a Consultation
Your surgeon will help you plan a timeline for your procedure that will best suit your needs and goals during your consultation. Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Matthias Solomon provides tummy tuck surgery to patients in Dallas, Frisco, Sherman, Texas, and surrounding locations.
Schedule a Consultation with Frisco, Texas Plastic Surgeon Dr. Solomon
For more information on Plastic Surgery and Non-Surgical Medical Spa Procedures and Treatments in Frisco, Texas, please contact the offices of Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Dr. Matthias Solomon by clicking here or calling 214-983-0213.
Serving patients in Frisco, Dallas, McKinney, Plano, Sherman, Highland park, University Park, Preston Hollow, Prosper, Allen, Southlake, Denton, Irving, Flower mound, Little Elm, Fort Worth, Texas and surrounding areas.